Boronia Park is an established residential area with some parklands/reserves. Boronia Park is bounded by the Buffalo Creek in the north, the Lane Cove River in the east, Martin Street, Abigail Street and Ryde Road in the south and Pittwater Road in the west.
Development of the area dates primarily from 1874 when land sales began, although most land was not built on until between 1885 and 1900. Significant development did not occur until the 1950s and 1960s. Boronia Park has experienced an increase in population between 1996 and 2001, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Major features of the area include Boronia Park Public School, Boronia Park Walk, the Great North Walk track, Boronia Park, Buffalo Creek Reserve and Tipperary Falls Picnic Area.
The Park is a remnant of the “Field of Mars and Eastern Farms Common” which was proclaimed as such on 18 August 1804. When this land was sold off in 1874 an area of “sixty-two acres and two roods” remained, and on 16 December 1887, under the Public Parks Act was dedicated “for public recreation, and to be known as Boronia Park”.
Later, in 1893, Hunters Hill Council was appointed trustee, and for many years used it as a disposal area for the municipality’s garbage; but despite the fact that large areas were degraded, it is still rich in flora, and a haven for many species of birds and reptiles.
Traces remain of its early history, the most important being the government broad arrow, deeply incised in a rock face, which marks the original survey point of the Common.
Courtesy of The Friends of Boronia Park