Henley is an established residential area with some commercial and light industrial land use in the north-western section around Victoria Road. Henley is bounded by Auburn Street, Earnshaw Street and the Tarban Creek in the north, the Parramatta River in the east and south and Punt Road, Victoria Road and Pittwater Road in the west.
Development of the area dates from 1795 when the first land grant was made. Land was used mainly for farming. Growth was minimal until the 1840s, following land subdivision and the construction of a wharf and road. The Marist Fathers established a monastery on the shores of Tarban Creek from 1847 and in 1881 established St Josephs College. Growth occurred from the 1880s to the early 1900s, following the construction of the first bridge over the Parramatta River. Significant development occurred in the post-war years, with apartment buildings built from the 1960s. Gladesville / Henley has experienced an increase in population between 1996 and 2001, a result of new dwellings being added to the area. Further population growth is expected with the housing development on the former Gladesville Hospital site and possible medium density housing in Crown Street, Henley.
Major features of the area include Riverside Girls High School, Banjo Patterson Cottage, The Priory, Henley Baths, Gladesville Foreshore Reserve, Gladesville Reserve, Harding Memorial Playground, Parramatta River Regional Park and Riverglade Reserve.
Courtesy of Hunters Hill Council