Hunters Hill Municipality was founded in 1861 and is located about 7 kilometres from the Sydney GPO. Hunters Hill is bound by Buffalo Creek and the Lane Cove River in the north, Tarban Creek and the Parramatta River in the south, and Punt Road, Victoria Road, Pittwater Road and the City of Ryde in the west. Hunters Hill
Municipality includes the suburbs of Gladesville (part), Henley, Hunters Hill, Huntleys Cove, Huntleys Point and Woolwich. The Municipality is predominantly a residential area with very little commercial or industrial land use.
Hunters Hill is the smallest local government area in metropolitan Sydney, covering an area of 6 square kilometres, including many parks and reserves. Hunters Hill is recognised as Australia‚Äôs oldest garden suburb, with 75% of the Municipality declared a conservation area. The original inhabitants of the area were the Wallumedegal Aboriginal people. European settlement dates from 1795 when land was first farmed. Growth was minimal until the late 1840s when many mansions were constructed (many of them from local sandstone) and a monastery was established. Growth took place from the 1880s to the early 1900s, spurred by subdivision, the establishment of a regular ferry service, the opening of several bridges and growth in the shipbuilding industry. The population in 2010 was 14,591. Magnificent sandstone buildings, heritage listed houses and buildings with significant stone walls that border the streets are found within the Municipality.
Gladesville Hospital and The Priory (the original home of the Marist Father‚Äôs Order) are two publicly accessible examples of early colonial sandstone structures. A rich, diverse and significant tree canopy, suburban bushland and parks are evidenced in The Great North Walk, Boronia Park, Tipperary Falls, Buffalo Creek Reserve, Riverglade (Tarban Creek) Reserve, Gladesville Reserve and Bedlam Bay (Parramatta River) Regional Park. Living and working examples of our nations early shipbuilding and maritime industry are on display at Woolwich Dock and Lookout, Clarkes Point Reserve, Morts Reserve, The Goat Paddock, The Horse Paddock, Kellys Bush and Weil Park. A commitment to education and learning, that for such a small area, has and continues to be a significant part of Sydney‚Äôs development at; St Josephs College, Marist Sisters College, Villa Maria Parish School, Hunters Hill Public School, Gladesville Public School, Boronia Park Public School, Hunters Hill High School, and Riverside Girls High School.
Council has an extensive webpage (Click Below).
The Hunter’s Hill Municipality has a unique, distinctive and highly relevant Coat of Arms as shown below: