Hunter's Hill is a wonderful place to visit and explore. The greater part of this historic municipality (1861) lies within a conservation area and there are over 1,200 separate elements that contribute to its heritage value. These elements include early villages, stone cottages and houses, significant public buildings, churches and schools, bushland reserves and gardens.
For a brief account of the history and heritage of the area see Beverley Sherry's entry on Hunter's Hill (2009) in the Dictionary of Sydney - click here for the entry.
In June 2004 the local community, in association with Hunter's Hill Council, developed a series of 16 interlinked walks which highlight the area's history and heritage. In June 2009 the 'Walks in Hunters Hill' Map was updated and reprinted. It can be downloaded from this website on the Home and Hunters Hill pages under 'Walking Trails', and on the Council website. Hardcopy of the maps are available from the Council offices at 22 Alexandra Street, Hunter's Hill and from the Gladesville Library at 6 Pittwater Road, Gladesville.
The best way to discover Hunter's Hill's many places of interest is to take one of the above walks, or part of a walk or indeed to combine the walks as you see fit. The following notes, which can be downloaded, set out the highlights seen on each walk and should be used in conjunction with the Map.
1. The Woolwich Village and Foreshore Walk Download Notes
2. The Jeanneret Walk Download Notes
3. The Hunters Hill Village Walk Download Notes
4. The Vienna Walk Download Notes
5. The Two Villages Walk See notes for walks 1, 2 and 3.
6. The Great North Walk See notes for walks 1 - 3, and 8 - 11. Click here for route.
7. The Two Ferries Walk See notes for walks 1 - 3, 11 and 13.
8. Buffalo Creek Walk Download Notes
9. Boronia Park Walk Download Notes
10. The Marist Walk Download Notes
11. The Five Bridges Walk Download Notes
12. The Tarban Walk Download Notes
13. Huntleys Walk Download Notes
14. The Gladesville Hospital Walk Download Notes
15. The Field of Mars Common Walk See notes for walks 8 and 9.
16. Boronia Park to Huntleys Point See notes for walks 8, 9, 10 and 13.
* Notes currently being prepared.