Mayors of Hunters Hill
As a contribution to Hunter’s Hill Council’s Sesquicentenary celebrations, Discover Hunters Hill has produced a pictorial history of the Council’s 58 Mayors and Chairmen from 1861.
Compiled by DHH founder Ross Williams, an Emeritus (past) Mayor and current Deputy Mayor of the Municipality, the booklet was included in the Council’s time capsule to mark the end of the year-long sesquicentenary activities.
The pictorial history reveals some interesting facts:
- only four women have ever held the office (Councillor Sue Hoopmann, 1999-2001, 2004-2012);
- some Hunters Hill Mayors went on to higher office – Aldermen Charles Jeanneret, 1870-1871, 1877-1878, 1890 (Member NSW State Parliament); John Lyndon Jones, 1979-1980 (NSW Judge) and David Landa, 1976-1979 (NSW Ombudsman);
- 10 chairmen and Mayors are pictured wearing bowties;
- nine Mayors are pictured wearing their official robes;
- the first 26 male Mayors and chairmen pictured all had either side whiskers, beards or daring moustaches;
- one town clerk/general manager later became Mayor (Councillor William Phipson, 1996-1998); and
- several streets of Hunters Hill are named after chairmen and Mayors; for example, Betts, Campbell, Cowell, Gale, Jeanneret, Joubert, Rooke, Weil, Windeyer.
The challenge is still not over with 15 photographs yet to be discovered to complete the collection. If anyone knows the whereabouts of these missing faces or has a better quality photograph of existing ones, contact [email protected] and they will be added in the next edition of the booklet.
To download a copy of the booklet in PDF form, click HERE